by Avenged Sevenfold, from the album City of Evil
I was an early supported of Avenged Sevenfold. There, I said it. I like 'em. My first encounter with this band was at a Symphony X show several years ago. Matt and I drove down to New York for the show - bringing homemade masks with hopes of meeting the band - and after a long wait outside, were ushered in. I think this was at the Nokia theater in Times Square.
There were four bands on the bill - some anonymous opener, Avenged Sevenfold, Symphony X, and Blind Guardian. Serious metalheads are a tough audience to win over, especially those into progressive or symphonic metal who are very set in their ways. I know, I was one of them. We like the blazing guitar solo, the fourteen minute epic song showcasing everyone's musical talent, and singers with tremendous range. Having A7X on the bill (shorter songs, snarlier vocals) could have been a disaster, and by most accounts was not the most successful pairing, but I was intrigued. The musicianship was solid, and the singer swapped back and forth between screaming and a surprisingly clear singing voice without showing any effort. I particularly remember the rendition of Darkness Surrounding, which remains one of my standbys for just plain rocking the fuck out.
No comments:
Post a Comment